Saturday, January 17, 2009

Balancing Your POINTS Values

Dear Weight Watchers Friends,

Highlights from this week's meeting: This week’s meeting topic was titled “Balancing Your POINTS Values.” Our meeting started out with a story about several friends who were taking a road trip. They got so caught up in their conversation that they forgot to pay attention to the gauges on the car and ran out of gas. How often do you get so busy doing other things that you forget to monitor or gauge your weight-loss efforts? A member once said, “I feel like I’m constantly watching the dials on the dashboard, and they’re saying, ‘Am I hungry?’ ‘Am I full?’ ‘What should and shouldn’t I eat?’ or ‘What can I eat so I don’t feel deprived?’” We had a great discussion on how important it is to watch all the dials when making food choices.

It’s important to find a good balance between choosing foods that help us stay satisfied and planning for foods we love. It’s also important to avoid hunger. Remember, hunger is hazardous! Don’t forget to bulk up meals and snacks by adding Filling Foods for extra satisfaction. It is so helpful to know that we can use the weekly POINTS Allowance and Activity POINTS values as ways to make room for the foods we love.

How have you been able to S-T-R-E-T-C-H your POINTS values this week?

We discussed what the term “flexible restraint” means. Members who practice this strategy generally enjoy lasting weight loss. Hopefully, we’ll all work to embrace this strategy since I’m certain it’s the desire of each one of us to enjoy lasting weight loss!

Next week's meeting topic: “Getting a Handle on Hunger.” We’ll learn how to fine-tune our monitoring skills further so we’ll be able to tell the difference between physical and emotional hunger—and how to respond accordingly. You definitely won’t want to miss this discussion.
AWARDS!
As a group, we lost 96.4 lbs. WOW! That’s wonderful--phenomenal success! Congratulations to each of you who contributed to this total loss, particularly those of you who received a 5-lb. star! You’re making great progress.

A special congratulations goes out to Heidi for earning her 10% award, and to Marianne for losing 25 lbs. so far! Thank you both for your comments, examples and inspiration.

I look forward to seeing each of you next Tuesday night. Tuesday, January 20, is a special day for our country as our new president, Barack Obama, will be sworn in! It will also be a special night at our meeting. Plan to attend so you can find out why!

I will leave you with this thought:
“Hope begins in the dark—the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up.” Anne Lamott

Our dawn is coming. It truly is. We will continue to do the right thing and we will be successful.

Take care, my wonderful friends,

Debra

No comments: